|Winner Take All|
|Original Airdate||March 6, 2004|
|Guest Characters||Master of Games, Speedy, Hot Spot, Gizmo, Aqualad, Wildebeest and Terra|
|Written By||Dwayne McDuffie|
|Directed By||Ciro Nieli|
|Previous Episode||Titan Rising|
Winner Take All is the 9th episode of season 2.
The episode begins with the Titans playing cards reflecting natural disasters, in which Beast Boy, Starfire, and Raven have very quickly lost to Robin. However, Cyborg defeats Robin with a card (Meteor) that dominates over all the other cards. Robin gets upset after losing to Cyborg. The two of them,and with Beast Boy get transported to an alternate dimension, leaving Starfire and Raven confused. The male Titans arrive at a challenge of champions, hosted by a being calling himself the Master of Games. Along with them are Gizmo, who makes Cyborg suspicious, Aqualad, making Beast Boy show off more than ever, Speedy, seemingly a doppelganger to Robin, only with an exclusively bow-and-arrow motif, and two other heroes named Hot Spot and Wildebeest. The 8 of them are told they are there to compete in a contest to see who the best really is, and the Master of Games giving away a prize, as well.
So now, the Titans introduced and ready for battle, the Master of Games sends the champions and the Titans into a fight for glory. Robin faces off against Hot Spot, Beast Boy against Wildebeest, Cyborg vs. Gizmo, and Aqualad against Speedy. The battles start, and Robin dodges Hot Spot's attacks, while Beast Boy and Wildebeest fight it out in a cage match. Speedy fights in Aqualad's turf, and Cyborg battles in a bunch of platforms while managing to take on Gizmo and his inventions. Robin ends up getting the best of Hot Spot for victory, Cyborg defeats Gizmo very happily, Speedy manages to defeat Aqualad, and Beast Boy, after shifting to every animal he can, unfortunatly falls out of the cage and loses to Wildebeest. Worried about their friend, Cyborg and Robin ask about Beast Boy, when the Master of Games tells them that he was escorted home safely. Unable to reach him, Cyborg gets worried, and wakes up Robin in the night to tell him he's not sure this thing is safe. Robin assumes Cyborg wants to tire him out so he could win easier, and closes his room door. Cyborg still curious, wonders around 'til he finds the Master of Games with new powers, the powers of his friends!
Cyborg confronts the Master, and even he gets his powers taken away. All of the losers have been put into a gem worn by the Master, and now he can use them as much as he wants. The next day, Robin wonders why Cyborg isn't there, and the Master tells him Cyborg was snooping, and was disqualified. The Master of Games tells the remaining heroes that they have to prepare for the final one-on-one battle, and Robin is still unaware of the evil plan. Robin and Speedy defeat Wildebeest together, and they face off. They do all they can, with all their weapons, and Robin ends up prevailing. After Robin wins, he asks the Master for the prize, finding out there wasn't a prize, and the Master has taken all his friends. Robin challenges the Master to a final battle, and manages to get Cyborg and Speedy back. Cyborg yells at him quickly, and the three of them take him down by destroying his jewel.
Now, all the heroes are back, and Robin makes them all Honorary Titans, except for Gizmo, who isn't a hero, and loses his communicator. Robin, learning that winning isn't everything, sends everyone home. After they all disappear, all of the heroines appear, among them Starfire, Raven, and Terra. For the final line of the show, Starfire states to Raven, "I have a bad feeling about this".
- Written by:
- Dwayne McDuffie
- Directed by:
- Ciro Nieli
- Also featuring:
- Terra joined the Teen Titans in the episode before this one, yet she is not seen during the card game at the beginning (perhaps a reference that she was sending information to Slade like she was in the episode Betrayal). At the end though, she appears behind Starfire and Raven and is in the next episode "Betrayal".
- This is the only episode in the series that Terra appears in that doesn't focus on her prominently.
- This is also the only episode in the series to feature Terra without the presence of Slade.
- It is most likely that the female Titans were able to be freed just like the male Titans did after the episode ended.
- The Master of Games's absorption power was used as inspiration for Kevin 11 in Ben 10.
- Aqualad became an honorary Titan at the end of Deep Six, but after Speedy beats him, Robin and Cyborg aren't worried about him.
- The VS character portraits of the eight male heroes are similar to the VS character sprites in the online game Battle Blitz. Robin's VS character portrait also resembles his sprite in the game.
- It is unknown why Gizmo is in this competition since he is not a hero, which is mentioned by Cyborg in the episode. Also it is unknown why Robin have Gizmo a communicator if they're enemies.
- In this episode, it's apparent that Gizmo would probably want to become an honorary Titan.
- In this episode, it looked as if Raven was not concerned about Robin, Beast Boy and Cyborg.
- It is possible that Argent, Kole, Bumblebee, Jinx, and Wonder Girl were the unseen heroines, however Starfire and Raven actually first met Argent, Kole, and Bumblebee (in person) in later episodes; Jinx wasn't a Titan in Season 2, and Wonder Girl was only seen in the comics.
- Even though the Master of Games captured Gizmo and used his powers, he and Gizmo were both joined with the Brotherhood of Evil, rather than fighting each other, likely due to their equal hatred of the Titans.
- It should be noted that this episode bared a resemblance to Mortal Kombat, as the champions were put to fight the competitors that rivaled them or the Master of Games could have possibly handpicked them to combat each other, much like how Shang Tsung decided who was going to battle next.
- This episode was written by the late Dwayne McDuffie, who greatly contributed as a writer for the DC animated universe.
- Goof: When the "champions" are discussing whether or not to participate in the games, Robin's voice is heard, but his mouth is not moving.
- Goof: When the Master of Games is discussing with Robin about the final match between them, the color of skin on the Cyborg arm changes from Cyborg's skin color to Master of Games'.
- Master of Games: (a scene of Robin) Robin: the combat equipped kung fu trained one man army.
(a scene shows Hot Spot)
Master of Games: Hot Spot: a human flame-thrower with a fiery temper to match.
(a scene shows Cyborg)
Master of Games: Cyborg: the high-tech teen fighting machine.
(a scene shows Aqualad)
Master of Games: Aqualad: a water-breathing telepath with mastery over surf and sea.
(a scene shows Wildebeest)
Master of Games: Wildebeest: 400 pounds of primal heroic fury.
(a scene shows Gizmo)
Master of Games: Gizmo: the nasty little boy with a really big brain.
(a scene shows Beast Boy)
Master of Games: Beast Boy: a quick-witted changeling who can turn into any animal.
(a scene shows Speedy)
Master of Games: And Speedy: the agile archer with an unstoppable arsenal of energy arrows.
- Beast Boy: Aquadude, what's up! Ready to watch me win all those prizes?
Aqualad: No. But after I win, I promise to let you have my autograph.
- Robin: Hold on, I know what you're doing.
Cyborg: What am I doing?
Robin: You're trying to trick me again like you did in the card game.
Cyborg: I am?
Robin: Sure. We'll go "investigate" and be up all night and find nothing, then you'll recharge your batteries in fifteen minutes, while I get no sleep.
Cyborg: SAY WHAT?!
Robin: When round 2 starts, I'll be fighting fatigue and you'll be that much closer to winning the prize.
Cyborg: No, man. For real, I'm just worried about B.B. Come on, winning isn't -
- Robin: As far as I'm concerned, you're all Honorary Titans.
Cyborg: Yo, gimme that! You're not a good guy, remember?
- Gizmo: Aw, crud. (Mutters insults rapidly.)
- Master of Games: Oh, what a marvelous game! No matter who is victorious, I win all the prizes! (the red gem on his necklace glows and Beast Boy, Gizmo, Hot Spot, and Aqualad can be heard screaming and yelling for help inside)
- Speedy: May the best man win!
- Robin: (with an I'm-gonna-kick-your-butt smile) I intend to.
- Master of Games: (after being defeated and sees all of the released heroes) I lose. (vanishes, leaving his red gem pendant)