The Quest is the 41st episode in the Teen Titans series and the 2nd episode of Season 4.
After encountering a thief with expert fighting moves, Robin decides to improve on his martial art skills by seeking out a legendary trainer: The True Master. He travels to Asia, where he meets an old woman who helps guide him, but first Robin must go through many trials before he is ready to meet the True Master. However, unknown to Robin, he is being followed by a mysterious figure. Meanwhile, back at Titans Tower, the rest of the team find a unique way to fill the gap left by Robin's departure.
One night, Robin surprises a thieving martial artist named Katarou in Jump City's Chinatown stealing a golden staff. Unexpectedly, the thief gains the upper hand on Robin, and upon Robin's question where he learned to fight like that, Katarou replies, "If you want to be the best, you have to seek the True Master", before he escapes.
The next day in his room, Robin begins to pack a few belongings as the other Titans arrive in to comfort him over his defeat. They soon notice Robin packing and begin to believe he is quitting the team, over what happened. However, Robin reveals to them that his fight with Katarou has showed him that he still has a lot to learn about martial arts. Cyborg offers to help, but Robin declines the offer stating to have already trained with the best. Starfire then asks if he is going to seek out the True Master and Robin confirms having been riled by his defeat and his apparent lack of combat skill, Robin reveals he has decided to travel to Asia and seek out the True Master, of whom little is known beyond legends.
Upon arriving in the village at the foot of the mountain where the Master is known to reside, he meets an old peasant woman who prepares him for his journey and shows him the beginning of the path. However, Robin has to show humility and so has to leave his weapons and costume behind; but little does he know that he has a stealthy pursuer...
Robin struggles his way up the mountain, fighting his way past a bear, a snake and a monkey, all of them guardians set up to test his skill and determination. He also meets the old woman time and again, who seems to have no problem whatsoever in getting past the obstacles and who keeps scolding him for his impatience. In the end, Robin reaches the mountain top, but before he can enter the abode of the True Master, he is intercepted by Katarou. In fact, Katarou had only implied that he had been trained by the Master: He had attempted to reach him before but failed, so he had Robin bypass the tests in his stead so that he may follow in his wake and claim the apprenticeship for himself. Using the golden staff and Robin's equipment, he casts him back and proceeds to the abode.
Tired and angry, Robin lies on the ground until the old woman bids him to rise, rekindling his determination by reminding him on his achievements in his journey. He engages Katarou in combat and, using his experiences from his tests, defeats him. But as Katarou desperately attacks Robin from behind, he is stopped by the old woman - who is in fact the True Master in person.
Having surreptitiously followed Robin's progress, she denounces Katarou as a thief and cheater and denies him any more chance of ever training under her. Upon Robin's questions, the Master slyly and good-naturedly admonishes Robin's seriousness and obsession one last time. In gratitude for her aid, Robin grants her the golden staff, and they begin training.
Meanwhile, back at Titans Tower, Starfire is shown to be missing Robin dearly, when she passes by his room, she notices a figure. Believing that Robin has returned, Starfire is overjoyed, but her happiness soon disappears as Starfire discovers "Robin" to actually be Beast Boy, dressed as him and messing with his weapons. Starfire tells Beast Boy that it's wrong for him to be in Robin's room and messing with his equipment, but Beast Boy starts to convince Starfire to dress as Robin as well.
Soon, Starfire is hooked as now both her and Beast Boy are dressed as Robin and still in his room. However, they are soon confronted by Cyborg, who appears to be mad at them for going through Robin's belongings. Instead, Cyborg is actually unhappy that they didn't invite him to join in and now Beast Boy, Starfire and Cyborg are dressed as Robin. Later, they are in the garage, playing around with Robin's R-Cycle and keep referring to each other as Robin. Raven the enters the room and admits this to be disturbing, but the others begin to convince her to join them, asking if she has ever wondered what it's like to actually be Robin.A few days later, it revealed that all of the Titans are now fully dressed as Robin, including Silkie. They continue to enjoy themselves, even ordering pizza. Raven then admits to everyone that the mask makes her feel cool. However, unaware to Raven, everyone is shocked as Robin has returned from training and is standing behind her. Raven soon notices and backs away, as everyone prepares for Robin to be furious with them. However, instead at being mad at the Titans for fooling around with his stuff and going through his belongings, Robin enjoys some pizza and admits to them: "You know, Robins, the mask makes me feel cool, too." Shocked beyond words, they all faint.
- Silkie made a cameo in this episode dressed up as Robin.
- This is the only episode Robin is shown barefoot.
- Each of the Titans dressed up like Robin but in different ways:
- Beast Boy's hangs loosely because he's shorter than Robin.
- Starfire's gets stretched, resulting in having a halter top because she's taller than Robin.
- Cyborg's seems to be ripping apart since he's much bigger than Robin, even using two utility belts to keep his pants on.
- Raven's tends to fit her fine, because she's the closest to Robin's height and build.
- It is interesting to note that the "R" on Robin's shirt also fits Raven's name as well.
- Starfire calls Robin's costume his uniform instead of "costume" in the series.
- Starfire's flashbacks of Robin while he is away are from (in order) the episodes Sisters, Date with Destiny, and Betrothed, which also happen to be the episodes that focus on Robin and Starfire's relationship.
- In the Date with Destiny flashback, it shows Robin and Starfire dancing- but in the actual episode, it doesn't show it. It just says that they have a dance.
- Starfire uses the puppet Starfire from "Switched" to act out Robin talking to her, while she's dressed as Robin.
- The "Robin calling Robin" part may be a spoof of the Monty Python "Bruces" sketch.
- The monkey guardian has a red Chinese character for "wood" or "tree" on his chest and another on his back.
- Robin mentions he trained with the best, a possible reference to Batman.
- Beast Boy, dressed up as Robin, popping through a paper-covered hoop, is a spoof on Robin the Boy Wonder's first comic appearance on the cover of Detective Comics issue #38 (1940).
- In addition, it also says "the sensational character find of 1965," a reference to Beast Boy's first appearance in The Doom Patrol #99 (Nov. 1965).
- At the end of the episode, there is what appears to be a pepperoni pizza on the table. Starfire asks Beast Boy if he wants another piece of the cheese pizza, and Beast Boy takes the slice even though he is a vegetarian.
- After Robin defeats the monkey, he is shown walking away but he is not walking on the poles.
- Beast Boy: Call me ... Beast Boy Wonder!
- Cyborg: (Seriously.) I can't believe you two would barge into Robin's room when he's gone, dress up in his uniform and pretend to be Robin! (Starfire and Beast Boy shaking, then Cyborg complains.) - WITHOUT ME!!
- Monkey: I am the Guardian of the Trees.
Robin: (Sighs wearily.) And if I want to get up the mountain, I must first defeat you.
Monkey: How did you know I was going to say that? Do you know what I am going to say next?
Monkey: Me, neither.
- Starfire: Robin calling Robin.
Beast Boy: Robin here, over.
Starfire: Not you Robin, the other Robin!
Cyborg: What's up, Robin?
- Monkey: Monkey see, Monkey doo! Monkey just made a fool of you! Hee hee hee!!
- Starfire: [Talking to her puppet of herself as if she were Robin.] Why Starfire, your hair looks especially shiny today. [Talking as puppet.] Thank you Robin. I rinsed, lathered, and repeated!
- Chu-hui: Rise, young warrior! You must get up! Your journey is not over!
- Robin: I can't fight him. He has all my weapons. I have nothing.
- Chu-hui: When you began your journey, you were determined. Nothing could stop you. And now that you are so close, are you willing to give up so easily?
- Robin: It was easier at the beginning.
- Chu-hui: Beginnings are often easier. But think of all that you have accomplished along your journey, what you have learned from your battles with the bear, the snake, the monkey.
- Robin: What's the point of fighting my way up the mountain when someone else is just going to come up the easy way?
- Chu-hui: There is always someone who is going to do things the easy way. But that should not stop you from doing things the right way. It is your journey, young warrior. Only you decide when it ends.
- Katarou: RAH!!! The true master must train me!! [Chu-hui blocks his blow]
- Chu-hui: You did not make it up the mountain on your own skills! You tried before on your own, but could not make it! You are a thief and a cheater! A true master will not train you! Not now, not ever!
- Katarou: But...
- Chu-hui: Take him off my mountain! [Monkey and Bear grabs Katarou and takes him away]
- Raven: You know Robins, I have to admit, the mask makes me feel... cool.
- Robin: Huh. Pizza! Sweet! You know, Robins, the mask makes me feel cool too.
Click here to view the gallery.