|Original Airdate||January 29, 2005|
|Guest Characters||Chu-hui, Chu-hui's Guardians and Katarou|
|Written By||Amy Wolfram|
|Directed By||Ben Jones|
|Preceded By||Episode 257-494|
The Quest is the 41st episode in the Teen Titans series and the 2nd episode of Season 4.
One night, Robin surprises a thieving martial artist named Katarou in Jump City's Chinatown stealing a golden staff. Unexpectedly, the thief gains the upper hand on Robin, and upon Robin's question where he learned to fight like that, Katarou replies, "If you want to be the best, you have to seek the True Master", before he escapes.Riled by his defeat and his apparent lack of combat skill, Robin decides to travel to Asia and seek out the True Master, of whom little is known beyond legends. Upon arriving in the village at the foot of the mountain where the Master is known to reside, he meets an old peasant woman who prepares him for his journey and shows him the beginning of the path. However, Robin has to show humility and so has to leave his weapons and costume behind; but little does he know that he has a stealthy pursuer...
Robin struggles his way up the mountain, fighting his way past a bear, a snake and a monkey, all of them guardians set up to test his skill and determination. He also meets the old woman time and again, who seems to have no problem whatsoever in getting past the obstacles and who keeps scolding him for his impatience. In the end, Robin reaches the mountain top, but before he can enter the abode of the True Master, he is intercepted by Katarou. In fact, Katarou had only implied that he had been trained by the Master: He had attempted to reach him before but failed, so he had Robin bypass the tests in his stead so that he may follow in his wake and claim the apprenticeship for himself. Using the golden staff and Robin's equipment, he casts him back and proceeds to the abode.Tired and angry, Robin lies on the ground until the old woman bids him to rise, rekindling his determination by reminding him on his achievements in his journey. He engages Katarou in combat and, using his experiences from his tests, defeats him. But as Katarou desperately attacks Robin from behind, he is stopped by the old woman - who is in fact the True Master in person.
Having surreptitiously followed Robin's progress, she denounces Katarou as a thief and cheater and denies him any more chance of ever training under her. Upon Robin's questions, the Master slyly and good-naturedly admonishes Robin's seriousness and obsession one last time. In gratitude for her aid, Robin grants her the golden staff, and they begin training.
In the meantime, the other Titans have found a funny way to fill the gap created by Robin's absence: Beast Boy sneaks into Robin's room, dresses up like Robin and plays around with his equipment, followed by Starfire, Cyborg, and Raven - and all of them quickly begin to enjoy "being" Robin. When Robin returns from his training, to their immense surprise he does not admonish them for fooling around with his stuff, but instead admits: "You know, Robins, the mask makes me feel cool, too."
- Beast Boy, dressed up as Robin, popping through a paper-covered hoop, is a spoof on Robin the Boy Wonder's first comic appearance on the cover of Detective Comics issue #38 (1940).
- In addition, it also says "the sensational character find of 1965", a reference to Beast Boy's first appearance in The Doom Patrol #99 (Nov. 1965).
- Starfire's flashbacks of Robin while he is away are from (in order) the episodes Sisters, Date with Destiny, and Betrothed.
- In the Date with Destiny flashback, it shows Robin and Starfire dancing- but in the actual episode, it doesn't show it. It just says that they have a dance.
- Silkie made a cameo in this episode dressed up as Robin.
- Each of the Titans dressed up like Robin but in different ways:
- Beast Boy's hangs off him because he's shorter than Robin.
- Starfire's gets stretched, resulting in having a halter top because she's taller than Robin.
- Cyborg's seems to be ripping apart since he's much bigger than Robin, even using two utility belts to keep his pants on.
- Raven's tends to fit her fine, because she's the closest to Robin's height and build.
- The "Robin calling Robin" part may be a spoof of the Monty Python "Bruces" sketch.
- The monkey guardian has a red Chinese character for "wood" or "tree" on his chest and another on his back.
- Starfire uses the puppet Starfire from "Switched" while dressing as Robin.
- Robin mentions he trained with the best, a possable refrence to Batman.
- At the end of the episode, there is what appears to be a pepperoni pizza on the table. Starfire asks Beast Boy if he wants another piece of the cheese pizza, and Beast Boy takes the slice even though he is a vegetarian.
- After Robin defeats the monkey, he is shown walking away but he is not walking on the poles.
- Beast Boy: Call me ... Beast Boy Wonder!
- Cyborg: (Seriously.) I can't believe you two would barge into Robin's room when he's gone, dress up in his uniform and pretend to be Robin! (Starfire and Beast Boy shaking, then Cyborg complains.) - WITHOUT ME!!
- Monkey: I am the Guardian of the Trees.
Robin: (Sighs wearily.) And if I want to get up the mountain, I must first defeat you.
Monkey: How did you know I was going to say that? Do you know what I am going to say next?
Monkey: Me, neither.
- Starfire: Robin calling Robin.
Beast Boy: Robin here, over.
Starfire: Not you Robin, the other Robin!
Cyborg: What's up, Robin?
- Monkey: Monkey see, Monkey doo! Monkey just made a fool of you! Hee hee hee!!
- Starfire: [Talking to her puppet of herself as if she were Robin.] Why Starfire, your hair looks especially shiny today. [Talking as puppet.] Thank you Robin. I rinsed, lathered, and repeated!
- Katarou: RAH!!! The true master must train me!! [Chu-hui blocks his blow]
- Chu-hui: You did not make it up the mountain on your own skills! You tried before on your own, but could not make it! You are a thief and a cheater! A true master will not train you! Not now, not ever!
- Katarou: But...
- Chu-hui: Take him off my mountain! [Monkey and Bear grabs Katarou and takes him away]
- Raven: You know Robins, I have to admit, the mask makes me feel... cool.
Robin: Huh? Pizza! Sweet! You know, Robins, the mask makes me feel cool too.