Switched is the 7th episode of Season One and overall the 7th episode of the Teen Titans series.
The Puppet King turns Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy into puppets and it's up to Starfire and Raven to save them. However, when the Puppet King accidentally switches their bodies they are going to need each other's help if they can rescue the boys and get their bodies back.
SynopsisThe Puppet King sends the Titans a cardboard box of five puppets resembling the Titans, which they take a liking to. During that night the Puppet King emerges from his hiding place in the box and activates his controller, which has the ability to transfer the soul of a person into a puppet. This causes Robin, Cyborg and Beast Boy to have their souls trapped in their puppets. However when the Puppet King tries this on Raven and Starfire, Raven uses her powers to stop the process, although their souls get switched and placed in each other's bodies by accident. They escape Titans Tower, with the Puppet King-controlled Titans in pursuit.
Raven and Starfire have problems using each other's powers, as Raven cannot fly or fire starbolts in Starfire's body and Starfire cannot levitate or use telekinesis in Raven's body. After they narrowly missed capture by a mind-controlled Beast Boy, they share with each other stories about their life and learn about each other as a person, in the hopes of understanding their respective powers.
After Raven and Starfire fully understand each other they rush to an abandoned theater, where they witness the Puppet King about to burn the puppets with the souls of the boys still inside. Raven and Starfire prevent this from happening as they steal back the puppets. The Puppet King sets the mind-controlled Titans at the girls, attacking them ruthlessly. When they are overwhelmed and the puppets reclaimed by the Puppet King, who is about to burn them, there seems to be no hope left until Starfire uses Raven's telekinesis ability to counter the brainwashed Titans. This distracts the King long enough for Raven to fire a starbolt, which knocks the controller out of the Puppet King's hand, landing in the fire which was originally intended to burn the puppets. With the controller destroyed the King loses the magic force keeping him alive and returns back to a puppet and the Titans have their souls returned to their bodies. The next day, while Raven is meditating, Starfire asks if she can join her, and Raven asks Starfire if she wants to go to the mall together. Together they peacefully relax after a day's work.
- Written by:
- Rick Copp
- Directed by:
- Ciro Nieli
- The title represents the fact that Robin, Cyborg and Beast Boy's souls were switched into dolls, while Raven and Starfire's souls were switched into each other's bodies hence the episode title.
- It's also noticed in this episode that Cyborg, Raven and Starfire have different colored souls than their actual colors in the theme song while Robin and Beast Boy have matching colors: Robin is Red and Beast Boy is Green. Cyborg is White in this episode; whereas the theme song, his actual color is Azure. Raven is Blue in this episode; whereas the theme song, her actual color is Violet. Starfire is Yellow in this episode; whereas the theme song, her actual color is Orange. The colors of their souls from Puppet King's Magic puppet control is seen again in Mother Mae-Eye when the Titans are escaping from her killer gingerbread henchmen.
- It appears that Starfire kept her puppet, since it appeared in The Quest, while the puppets of the other Titans make an appearance on the wall in the evidence room in Fear Itself, along with the Puppet King's controller.
- Even though no actual changes were made to the appearances of Starfire and Raven, the two look different when their bodies are switched. Raven suddenly appears weak and helpless, and Starfire seems older and more mature, and also looks more like Blackfire.
- Starfire (with Raven's soul/conscience) was shown to have a navel when she says "And what?" This could possibly be an animation error.
- The roars of Beast Boy's Utahraptor form are similar to the T-Rex from Jurassic Park.
- Beast Boy's Utahraptor form has no head feathers (also seen in The Sum of His Parts). The later episodes show his Utahraptor form has head feathers.
- Right after Beast Boy says "You go, girls!", Starfire's eyebrows are out of place for a second.
- Even though Robin says the person who made the puppets got every detail right, his puppet has a lowercase "r" on its costume instead of an uppercase one like his real cosume.
- When Raven screams, her hair goes into the shape of a raven.
- Oddly enough, the Raven and Starfire don't realize they switched bodies until after they jumped into the vent to hide, though it should have been obvious to them as both girls wore different clothing and their hair lengths were different.
- Starfire may have subtly revealed that she doesn't like the way Raven looks. Though it may be that she doesn't mind Raven's appearance, but just doesn't like the look on herself.
- This episode was one of the few times we see Starfire angry, when she calls out Raven's rude and pessimistic attitude. However, she quickly calms down and understands why Raven is always so down to earth cold.
- Puppet King: Enough! We will catch the other two after the ceremony is complete.
Puppet Robin: Ceremony?
Puppet Cyborg: What ceremony?
Puppet King: Just a little spell that will destroy you three, and make your bodies mine forever. Come, my puppets.
- Raven: (As Starfire touching her hair) How can you stand having this much hair?
Starfire: (As Raven) Quickly, Raven! Our friends are in danger! We must follow and--
Raven: (As Starfire) And what? Save them with my unusable powers while your unbridled emotions blow us to bits?! Nice flying by the way.
- Raven: (As Starfire) Okay, how do you fly this thing?
Starfire: (As Raven) You must feel flight.
Raven: (As Starfire) What?
Starfire: (As Raven) When you feel the unbridled joy of flight, you will fly.
Raven: (As Starfire) Unbridled joy? Not really my thing.
- Raven: (As Starfire) What do I have to feel to use starbolts?
Starfire: (As Raven) Righteous fury!
Raven: (As Starfire) Your alien strength?
Starfire: (As Raven) Boundless confidence!
Raven: (As Starfire, agitated) Nevermind.
- Puppet King: (as Puppet Robin) Titans, go! Hey, aren't you guys coming?
Puppet King: (as Puppet Raven) What's the point?! We can't possibly defeat the Puppet King.
Puppet King: (as Puppet Starfire) He's too cleaver and powerful. Not to mention good looking.
Puppet King: (as Puppet Cyborg) Yeah, we should probably just surrender now.
Puppet King: (as Puppet Beast Boy) Dude, I think we already have.
Puppet King: Bravo, bravo. But enough rehearsal! Time to start the show.
- Beast Boy: (after his puppet kicks Robin's puppet) Dude, my puppet is totally kicking your puppet's butt.
Robin: Not for long. (his puppet pushes Beast Boy's puppet and it accidentally hits Cyborg's puppet)
Cyborg: You wanna piece of me little man? (the boys' puppets begin to battle)
- Raven: (being restrained along with Starfire by Zombie Cyborg) Let me go!
Starfire: Friends, why do you attack us?
Puppet King: Oh, they're not your friends anymore! They're my puppets!
(pulls out the puppets with the souls of the boys trapped in them) These are your friends.
Puppet Robin: Starfire!
Puppet Cyborg: Raven!
Puppet Beast Boy: Help!
Raven: Release them!
Puppet King: Sorry, but you're not in charge here. You don't command me, (pulls out his controller) I command you. (Blue and Yellow beams turn on as the puppets are held near the controller. The girls appear with their colors and struggle to break free) And with the Puppet King pulling the strings, the Teen Titans will command the entire city.
Raven: (in a weak voice with Starfire as their souls are commanded to be transferred into their puppets) Azarath Metrion Zinthos. (the last telekinetic powers flare over the entire hallway knocking everyone silly. The puppets and controller are knocked out and transpose to a halt.)
Puppet King: (from the opposite distance in the hallway) My control! (Yellow and Blue beams burst from the ends, commanding the matching colored souls emerge from the puppets and into Raven and Starfire. The two escape as the beams turn off.) After them. (The controlled Titans get up chase after the girls. Raven and Starfire hide underneath while in each other's bodies.)
Starfire: (As Raven): The boys! Raven, what are we going to.... (Raven in Starfire's body turns on the light and the girls looked at each realizing that they had switched bodies by accident)
Raven: (As Starfire) Starfire?
Starfire: (As Raven) Raven? 'gasps' You are me! (gasps) And I am you! (Telekinetic powers come out shattering the light bulb leaving Raven surprised. Scenes goes out and back in Jump City. Zombie Beast Boy goes in search while screeching like a hawk. The sewer lid pops out.) Oh, Raven this is awful! Terribly, horribly, awful!
Raven: (As Starfire) Tell me about it.
Starfire: (As Raven) Very well. Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy have been trapped inside tiny wooden bodies (Two parking meters bends) while the nasty creature called the Puppet King has taken control of their real bodies (Papers come flying out of the newspaper machine) which he is using to hunt us down and you and I are in the wrong (A mailbox melts) bodies and..... (Gasps)
Raven: (As Starfire grabs her shoulder to make her stop) Starfire! You have to calm down. My powers are driven by emotion. The more you feel, the more energy you unleash.
Starfire: (As Raven) But what if they find us? What if our friends are doomed? What if I'm stuck looking like this forever?! (twirls head)
Raven: (As Starfire) We'll fix it. I don't know how, but we will rescue the boys and we will get our bodies back. [pauses] What's wrong with the way I look?
Starfire: (as Raven) Nothing.. (stoplight explodes) I will try to calm down. Peace. Quiet. Tranquil...(car explodes)
Raven: (As Starfire) We are so doomed.
- Starfire: (As Raven) At least I am able to fly! On my planet even a newborn can unleash the joy of flight, but you are too busy being grumpy and rude to feel anything at all!!!!
Raven: (As Starfire) Maybe you haven't noticed, but my emotions are dangerous. I can't afford to feel anything. You may have my body, but you know nothing about me.
Starfire: (As Raven) Perhaps, you are right. And if you and I are to overcome this ordeal, we must know everything about each other. So, begin sharing.
Raven: (As Starfire) Alright, I was born in a place called Azarath.....
- Puppet King: (hearing the intrusion of Starfire and Raven) Search and destroy. I do not want an audience. (the controlled Robin and Cyborg leave to search for intruders) Well, Titans, time for your grand finale. (pours a blue chemical from the vial and into the fire)
Raven: (As Starfire sees the boys about to be burned) 'gasps' No!
Puppet King: (grabs the boys) It's going to be a real show stopper.
Puppets Robin, Cyborg and Beast Boy: Stop! Please! Hey!
Puppet Robin: No!
Puppet Cyborg: Stop!
Puppet Beast Boy: Help!
Puppet King: Don't worry. I'll take good care of your bodies. After all, they'll be mine forever. (drops the boys in the fire, but was saved at the last minute by Starfire using Raven's dark powers to catch them and bring them up safely)
Starfire: (As Raven hugs the boys after saving them) My friends! You are unharmed!
Puppet Robin: Starfire?
Raven: (As Starfire) It a long story.
Puppet King: (summons the mind-controlled Titans) Go my puppets! Capture them!
Raven: (As Starfire grabs Starfire in Raven's body's arm and runs as the comtrolled Titans begin to chase after them) Move!
Puppet Beast Boy: Dude, get your butt out of my face!
Puppet Robin: Can't move! Deal with it!
Starfire: (As Raven) AAAHHH!!! Raven, help!
Raven: (As Starfire) Starfire! (tackles Zombie Robin and holds him by the cape)
Starfire: (As Raven) Not me, (points below) them!
- (Raven, as Starfire, is shocked to witness below)
Puppet King: The Puppet King is in command!
Raven: (As Starfire) NO!!!!!! (the starbolt hits Puppet King causing knocking his controller into the air and into in the burning cauldron)
Puppet King: (gasps) My control! (the fire encircles in the air and the magic starts reversing the power) NO!!!!!!
- (The effect releases the Titans' souls from their puppets back in their own bodies with their respective colors, Robin: Red; Beast Boy: Green; and Cyborg: White. Raven and Starfire watch in amazement as the same effect applies them as their souls released from each other back into their own bodies with their respective colors, Raven: Blue; and Starfire: Yellow. Everyone gathers below.)
- Starfire: (After returning herself and the other Titans back to normal) I am me, and you are you!
- Cyborg: And we're us!
Robin: Thanks to you two.
Beast Boy: You go, girls!
Starfire: Raven, we have done it!
Raven: (in discomfort) You're hugging me.
Puppet King: NO! (Raven and Starfire turn around with startled expressions on their faces) The magic! Without it, I'm just a... (the last of the magic fades out reverting Puppet King into a lifeless puppet. Scenes goes out and back in the tower)
- Raven: Azarath Metrion Zinthos. Azarath Metrion Zinthos.
- Starfire: Raven? Forgive my interruption, but..
- Raven: (recalling the question from the beginning) I haven't seen Robin, Cyborg, or Beast Boy.
- Starfire: Truthfully, I am wishing to join you in meditation.
- Raven: (opens up) Really? Alright. (Starfire flies in front of and poses her meditation position) Find your center, focus your energies, and...
Both: Azarath Metrion Zinthos. Azarath Metrion Zinthos.
Raven: After this, would you like to go to the mall?
Starfire: (nods her head yes) MMM-HMM.
Both: Azarath Metrion Zinthos. Azarath Metrion Zinthos.
- Starfire: (As Raven) Very, very good! What was your joyful thought?
Raven:(As Starfire) You don't wanna know.
Starfire: (As Raven) Oh, but i do! Please tell me! What did you imagine?
Raven:(As Starfire, sighs) You not talking.
Starfire:(As Raven, awkward smile) Oh...I'm glad I could help...