- Mumbo Jumbo! Abracadabra! Alakazam! Hocus pocus!
- — Mumbo's standard spell incantations[src]
|Aliases||The Amazing Mumbo|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Species||Human (magically changed)|
|Affiliations||Brotherhood of Evil|
|Powers & Abilities|| Hat as a vacuum,|
Transformation of foes into animals,
Teleportation into hat,
|Weapon|| Magic wand, |
|Goal|| To get rich, |
Defeating the Teen Titans
|First Appearance||The Sum of His Parts|
|Voiced By||Tom Kenny|
Mumbo is a small, underprivileged sleight-of-hand magician who happened to find a conjurer's hat and wand which were actually magical. The magic, however, drove him mad, and he subsequently made his living as a master thief, coming into frequent conflict with the Teen Titans.
Mumbo clashed with the Titans after he had robbed a jewelry store and fled to a junkyard. During the fight, Cyborg, whose power cell was nearly drained at that time, was lost, and the other Titans presumed that Mumbo had taken him hostage (actually, Cyborg had been found by the cybernetic hermit Fixit and brought into his underground lair for repairs). After the Titans having chased Mumbo all over the city, Robin finally managed to get hold of Mumbo's magic wand and broke it, nullifying Mumbo's enchantments. When Cyborg failed to show up, the Titans returned to the junkyard - after they had delivered Mumbo to the authorities, despite the latter's high hopes.
At some unspecified point, Terra, who was a member of the Teen Titans at that time, captured Mumbo right after he attempted to run out of a bank he had just robbed by sky-slamming him into the air with a rock (shown in a flashback in the episode "Aftershock, Part 2.")
Later, Mumbo was caught by the Teen Titans robbing the city's central bank. When Raven displayed a lack of appreciation for his magic tricks, Mumbo decided to outdo her. He drew Raven and the remaining Titans into a pocket dimension in his hat, which was populated by Mumbo look-alikes, turned them into animals and limited Beast Boy's shape-changing ability to objects only, and prepared to eliminate them in the grand finale of his own theater show. With their powers gone, the Titans were rendered helpless—until Raven managed to outsmart him by painting herself and the others that they optically blended in with the stage and fooling him into opening her cage. This action released the Titans (who are back to normal) and Mumbo's loot from the hat, and Mumbo was apprehended. He questioned how they escaped, but Raven refused to tell him, saying "Magician never reveals her secrets" while winking at him.
Later, Mumbo was recruited into the Brotherhood of Evil. He participated in Ding Dong Daddy's race for Robin's most secret possession, but was taken out in a mass crash triggered by Red X. When Beast Boy lead Mas, Herald, Pantha, and Jericho in an assault to the Brotherhood's Base, Mumbo was defeated by Beast Boy's Tyrannosaurus form. Mumbo was then seen flash-frozen at the end of the battle.
Teen Titans Go!
Mumbo appeared in Magic and Misdirection in issue 12 (#12). He overpowered all five titans and Terra. He managed to create a trap floor and Beast Boy fell into it. He claimed that he wanted to make Titans Tower dissappear and Robin goes after him. While Cyborg and Raven checked the Tower, Terra and Starfire searched for Beast Boy. Cyborg and Raven found dots hanging in the proxmity of the Tower. It was revealed that Mumbo misdirected them to check the Tower while he planned to robbed the bank. Mumbo casted a spell to Robin to speak backwards. Robin was unable to tell Raven and Cyborg. After regrouping, the Titans were able to deduce Mumbo's ulterior motive and take him down
AppearanceMumbo's uniform consists of a normal magician's clothing. He wears a black turtleneck tuxedo with a white chest pad and a yellow flower pinned to his chest. He also wears a top hat, gloves and a mask. The mask he wears is identical to Robin's and Speedy's.
Powers and AbilitiesMumbo is a powerful magician, whose magic comes from the hat and the wand, but the magic he can produce—mainly due to the nature of his paraphernalia and his state of mind—is limited to stage magic, conjuring, and comedic effects. These include (but are not limited to) conjuring masses of flowers and cards to distract opponents, polymorphing people and objects at will, enlarging his glove to catch is opponent, conjuring door traps, animating lifeless objects, and making objects disappear into his hat. His magic is highly versatile and often catches the Titans off guard, allowing him to overpower all five of the Titans sometimes.
His hat contains its own pocket-dimmension that is entirely under his control and made in his literal image, in which Mumbo's magic is much more powerful, as he was able to turn the Titans into animals (and Beast Boy into a lamp), nullify their powers, and stated he would make them disappear forever (erase them from existence).
- He is one of the five villains who have cried before. The other four are Kitten, Warp, Soto, and Punk Rocket.
- He is one of the bosses in the videogame of Teen Titans made for Playstation 2, XBOX, and GameCube. He is also a playable unlocked character.
- The only season Mumbo doesn't make a physical appearance in is Season 4, but there is a Mumbo Alarm Clock in Season 4 in Titans Tower.
- Tom Kenny, who plays Mumbo, also plays Starscream from Transformers Animated. Both shows were produced by the same company in similar animation.
- He has the same mask as Robin and Speedy.
- Mumbo has the name of of another character in the Banjo-Kazooie series. This Mumbo uses magic and has transformed the main characters into animals as well.
- Mumbo was said to be a one-off character created for the show, but a positive fan reaction influenced further appearances.
- In The Lost Episode, the conductor of the orchestra has a striking resemblance to Mumbo's normal human form.
- His gloves resemble those of Mickey Mouse.
- Mumbo has similarities to The Ice King in Adventure Time. Ice King is also voiced by Tom Kenny.
- Tom Kenny, the voice of Mumbo also voices Spongebob Squarepants.
- Derrick J. Wyatt said that Bezel from Ben 10 Omniverse is the parallel of Mumbo in the Ben 10 reality.
- Both Bezel and Mumbo are voiced by Tom Kenny, both of them can use real magic, but have an attraction to stage magic, and they share a similar body design. The main difference is that Bezel could already use real magic, but became disillusioned by it, and took a shining to stage magic, whereas Mumbo was a stage magician who obtained a pair of magical items.