Bunny Raven... or ...How to Make A Titananimal Disappear is episode 37 of the Teen Titans series and the 11th episode of Season 3.
PlotThe Amazing Mumbo tries to rob the Bank of Perez, and once again the Titans intervene. Raven in particular is anything but impressed with Mumbo's magic, so Mumbo decides to draw her into his hat to teach her a lesson. The other Titans try to hold her back, but they are yanked in as well; Raven gets separated from the others ... and is turned into a blue-cloaked bunny rabbit!
Mumbo reveals that he has decided to make Raven his (highly unwilling) assistant for his grand show, in which he intends to get rid of the Titans once and for all. Despite evidence to the contrary, Raven still insists that all this is just an illusion, but Mumbo refuses to tell how he accomplishes all this under the motto: "A magician never reveals his secrets."
The other Titans quickly find Raven inside the hat dimension, but are all the more quicker overpowered by Mumbo, who takes away their powers and equipment, and turns them into animals: Robin into a monkey, Starfire into a tiger, and Cyborg into a bear. The exception is Beast Boy, whose shape-changing powers Mumbo restricts to inanimate objects only. Despite their best efforts, the Titans are restrained and find themselves unable to escape.
Finally, Mumbo opens his show, yanking the Titans onto the stage one by one for his introductory acts before the grand finale. The Titans try to think of a way to escape, but with the restrictions Mumbo has placed on them, it appears to be a futile task - until Raven gets an idea of how to out-trick Mumbo, an idea involving several cans of paint and a paintbrush.
Mumbo is finally ready for the finale, and he has the Titanimals' cages lifted onto the stage - to find them all seemingly empty! Baffled, he opens the door to Raven's cage, but makes out nothing before Raven, who - like the other Titans - is painted to blend in with the stage, kicks him in the face, expelling him, the Titans and his loot out of the hat and breaking his spells. As he is arrested, Mumbo eagerly asks Raven about how she managed to pull off her trick, but Raven smugly responds: "A magician never reveals her secrets."
- The premise of this episode might be a reference to the television show Lidsville, as both feature the main character(s) going into a magician's hat and ending up in a surreal world. Plus, Mumbo Jumbo's similarity to Lidsville's the Great HooDoo is also noteworthy.
- This is the only episode in the Teen Titans series with a musical number sung by one of the actual voice actors. The other instance of a musical number with an actual voice actor appears in the Teen Titans movie Trouble in Tokyo.
- Mumbo's song is a reference to the Genie's introduction in Aladdin. Additionally, in the direct-to-video sequel "Return of Jafar," the titular villain Jafar also has a musical number called "You Are Only Second Rate" while taunting the main characters.
- The two elderly Mumbos in the loge making puns on the show are an obvious reference to The Muppet Show characters Statler and Waldorf, who likewise keep heckling with sarcastic puns in their show.
- The Mumbo stage manager is also an obvious reference to Scooter from The Muppet Show.
- When Mumbo appears as a fortune teller machine, it's a reference to the Zoltar machine from the movie Big.
- When Robin is turned into a monkey his cape is yellow instead of its usual black resembling that of other Robins from the comics.
- Robin, Cyborg and Starfire's animal forms are a reference to their early DC Comics the TV show is loosely to partially based on. Robin (monkey) used to be a circus performer in the early comics. Starfire's (cat) race, the Tamaranians, were said to have evolved from felines in the early comics. For Cyborg (bear), he had been to Russia which is the origin of the dancing bear.
- Starfire's quote about being a cat in a hat is an obvious reference to Dr. Seuss' "Cat in the Hat"
- The way that Mumbo smiles at the end of his music number is similar to how the Cheshire Cat smiles in Alice in Wonderland
- The Maestro at the piano is modeled after the entertainer Liberace.
- When the cards put makeup on Mumbo, the makeup's blue, meaning Mumbo probably isn't really blue.
- The Titanimals and Mumbo are featured again in a DC Nations New Teen Titans short called "Titanimal Kingdom".
- Robin: (Reaching Raven's hand as she is getting sucked into Mumbo's hat.) Raven!
Beast Boy: Dudes!
- (Scene pitch black)
Mumbo: This will teach you not to heckle the headliner! Presto Chango! (Spotlight on Raven showing that Mumbo has turned her into a bunny.)
Raven: (Sees herself as a rabbit and her ears droop down. Sarcastically.) Super.
- Raven: This can't be for real. It's just one of Mumbo's illusions. (A talking card appears.)
Anycard: Well, well, well. (Confusingly looks over to her side.) Look what the hat dragged in.
Raven: Umm... who are you?
Anycard: I'm Anycard! You know, pick a card any card?
Raven: Uh-huh. Where am I?
Anycard: You're inside Mumbo's hat!
Raven: And I'm a rabbit. Why?
Anycard: Do you always ask such stupid questions?
Raven: That's it. I'm out of here. Azarath Metrion Zinthos! (Raven's rabbit ears gets tied up)
Anycard: Your magic won't work. Mumbo's the only magician in here. The rest of us are just for tricks.
Raven: (Scoffs and unties her ears.) I'm nobody's prop. So, how do I get out?
Mumbo: (Mumbo's hand appears) I can't tell you that! A magician never reveals his secrets!
Anycard: The hand! Scram! (Anycard escapes but the hand picks up Raven by the ears)
Raven: If you're really so amazing Mumbo, what do you need me for?
Mumbo: You're going to be my assistant for the big show tonight!
Raven: I'm not helping you with your stupid magic tricks.
Mumbo: Silly rabbit! You don't have a choice! My hat, my rules! (pulls Raven out of his hat)
- Robin: Raven?
Starfire: The Mumbo has made you invisible?
Raven: Up here!
Beast Boy: (Sees Raven as a rabbit in a cage) Um...why does that rabbit sound like Raven?
Raven: Because I am Raven.
Starfire: Oh, you look so cute! (Raven growls at her) Um...
Robin: We'll get you out of there!
- Mumbo: (As the Titans try to rescue Raven, Mumbo interrupts and grabs her by the ears) Sorry, no sneak previews! You'll have to wait for tonight's show like everyone else!
Robin: Give us our friend back!
Mumbo: Now you see her, (puts Raven inside his hat) now you don't! Ta-da! Nothing in my hat!
Cyborg: Let me get this straight. We're inside Mumbo's hat and Raven's inside Mumbo's hat inside Mumbo's hat?!? (the robotic half of his head blows off).
Beast Boy: Dude, you're making my brain hurt!
- Beast Boy: (To Mumbo) Oh, yeah? Well, whatcha gonna do to me? I already turn into animals!
(Mumbo tries turning Beast Boy into a mouse, duck and a dog but Beast Boy turns back into his human self)
Mumbo: Good point. Mumbo-jumbo!
(Beast Boy turns into an ornate green lamp)
- Starfire: Ow!
Robin: Sorry, Star. I think I stepped on your foot.
Starfire: I believe it was my tail.
Cyborg: Yo, Lamp Boy! Turn on the light. (Beast Boy as a lamp turn on) Aw, man! I can take losing a fight, but this is just mean! (takes off tutu, but it keeps appearing on him)
Starfire: How was Mumbo able to change us into animals?
Robin: Mumbo's magic must be more powerful in here. Who knows what other tricks he's got up his sleeve? We've got to find Raven and get out of here.
Cyborg: (continues to take off the tutu but fails as it makes a mountain of tutus) GRR!!! Wait til I get my claws on Mumbo! Did I just say 'claws'?
Starfire: (scratches her ear) Be thankful that you do not have the fleas. (fleas that look like Mumbo chew on her scalp)
Cyborg: (Beast Boy morphs into a telephone and rings. Cyborg answers) Uh.... hello?
Beast Boy: (via telephone) Hello? What have you got to complain about? I'm a lamp! And what's wrong with being an animal anyway? At least you guys have legs, I can't even move! And do you have any idea how hot a lightbulb gets...
Cyborg: (hangs up and smiles) Well, at least we finally found a way to shut him up. (Beast Boy then morphs in an air horn and blows loudly in front of Cyborg causing him to fly though the mountain of tutus and onto a door) Where did that come from?
Starfire: Where does it lead?
Robin: Probably into another of Mumbo's tricks, but it's better than stumbling around in the dark. (opens the door and finds the same street they were walking on before)
Starfire: We are back where we started.
Cyborg: (irritated) And I'm still wearing a tutu!
Beast Boy: (morphs into a telephone post and rings. Cyborg backs away knowing what happened before. Robin and Starfire do rock-paper-scissors. Starfire beats Robin with scissors, much to his dismay and answers the phone) So, what does the Great Bludini want with Raven anyway?
Robin: (hears sirens) No idea, but right now we've got bigger things to worry about. (Police vans stop in front of them, giant magician gloves jump out and prepare to fight)
Beast Boy: (via telephone) AAAHHHH!!!! KILLER GLOVES!!!!!
Robin: I'm gonna have to put you on hold.
- Starfire: (coughs up a hairball like starbolt) I cannot fly and my starbolts are furry.
Cyborg: At least Mumbo left me with my sonic-cannon. (tries to use it but pops out a flag saying the word 'bang') Bang? Oh, dang!
- Beast Boy: (via telephone) Hey, let me help! I could prank call them!
- Starfire: How are we to stop them?
Robin: We fight hand to hand.
- Raven: Azarath Metrion Zinthos!
Mumbo: Psst! Try 'Abracadabra'
Raven: Abracadabra. (the jewel on her forehead glows and little yellow flowers surround her in the cage. Mumbo take a flower and squirts her with water)
Mumbo: (laughter) That gag never gets old!
Mumbo: Here, a peace offering. (Gives her a rubber duck)
Raven: You pulled that out of your sleeve.
Mumbo: Must you over-analyze everything? (Puts rubber duck on his head, under his hat) Why can't you just sit back and enjoy the show? (Tears his sleaves and reveals two yellow birds from his hand. The birds then fly away)
Raven: Because it isn't real. Your act, this hat. It's all smoke and mirrors. You probably just hypnotized into thinking I'm a rabbit. And when I get home, my nose will twitch every time a bell rings.
Mumbo: (his sleeves magical sews back on) Hmm... That would be an interesting trick but no!
Raven: As soon as I figure out how you're creating this illusion, your powers will be gone.
Mumbo: Knowing how the tricks work doesn't make them any less real. If you look like a rabbit and hop like a rabbit, then guess what kid? You're really a rabbit!
Raven: (Mumbo plucks off one of Raven's whiskers) Ow!
Mumbo: For real!
- Starfire: I do not like being a cat in this hat!
- Beast Boy: (via megaphone) Guys, I could use a hand here! (gloves claps)
- Mumbo: You know what they say. If you can't beat Mumbo, join Mumbo! (his head expands like a balloon)
Puppet Stage Manager: Two minutes to showtime, Mr. Amazing! You're great, I love you! (Mumbo's head explodes into confetti)
Robin: We're not going to be a part of your show!
Mumbo: (head returns to normal) Oh, I think you will. What I have planned for you makes me so happy, I feel like singing! Maestro? (singing) Five, six, seven, eight! Don't bother getting up, you're in my control. No way for you to fuss and fight. I've taken all your powers so lucky you. You will be in my show tonight. You think you can defeat me? Oh, how very droll! Well, Titans one thing you should know: I am the one with magic powers around here. I am the one who runs the show! I am the master of ceremonies, so let me set you straight! With just a wave of my magic wand, I'm master of your fate! With just some hocus pocus and slight of hand, you all are under my command. Put them in their cages, keep them all apart.
Puppet Stage Manager: (singing) Places everybody! The show's about to start!
Gloves: (singing) He is the master of ceremonies, so let him set you straight. With just a wave of his magic wand, he is master of your fate! Master of your fate! Master of your fate! Master of your fate!
Mumbo: (singing) Now for the greatest grand finale, and the reason why you're here! Tonight, I will make the Titans disappear.....(speaking) forever.
- Balcony Mumbo 1: What do you get when you cross a magician with a camera?
Balcony Mumbo 2: (Turns Balcony Mumbo 1's head into a camera) Hocus Focus, hahahahaha
- Cyborg: (his bear feet begins to tap dance) Yo! Cut that out!
- Beast Boy: (Via telegraph) What happened?
Cyborg: (Exhausted) He made me do a jig.
Starfire: (gasps in horror) That madman must be stopped! (Pauses) Please, what is a 'jig'?
- Beast Boy: (As a green Victrola) I got it!
Cyborg: (Unimpressed) It can't involve driving a tank or unleashing magician-eating sharks. (Robin cranks BB up.)
Beast Boy: I don't got it.
- Raven: (After Mumbo's performance, he pulls Raven out of his hat) What is the point of putting me back together when you're just gonna finish me off?
Mumbo: Oh, I need you in one piece for the finale! (puts Raven back in the cage)
Puppet Stage Manager: People, hurry! The finale's up next and we're on in five!
Cyborg: You heard the man! Five minutes til poof!
Robin: There's got to be something we're not seeing (Beast Boy morphs into a phone and rings. Robin answers)
Beast Boy: Maybe all of this is more of Mumbo's mumbo-jumbo. Just a big trick.
Starfire: It all seems awfully real to me.
Raven: Starfire's right. Whatever happens in here is real, even if it is a trick. (gets an idea) But that doesn't mean we can't perform an even bigger trick! Robin, can your tail reach those cans of paint?
Raven: Beast Boy, can you be a paint brush?
- Raven: (takes Mumbo's hat) We're gonna make sure you don't have any encore performances.
Mumbo: But...But my magic! How did you escape?
Raven: I had a better trick up my sleeve.
Mumbo: I gotta know. Come on kid, just between us. Tell me what you did.
Raven: A magician never reveals her secrets. (she smiles, puts on Mumbo's top hat, and winks.)
- Starfire: We could sneak up behind the Mumbo, and...(Beast Boy turns into a stock ticker and prints a line of tape.)
Robin (reading tape): "Mumbo's got eyes in the back of his hat." Beast Boy's right!
Beast Boy (prints): Thank you